Scientific Name: Schistidium crassipilum (Grimmiaceae).
English Name: Thickpoint Grimmia (a Grimiales moss).
French Name: None.
5 Key Characters:
- spore capsule long and narrow, surrounded by leaves.
- makes rounded cushions or flat patches.
- each leaf has a hair point, giving the moss a silvery frosted look.
- the hair points are straight, with a flattened base.
- edges of upper leaves very slightly toothed.
Lookalikes: Several other mosses eg Grey-Cushioned Grimmia Grimmia pulvinata or Wall Screw-moss Tortula muralis, both of which have capsules on longer 'stems' (seta), not hidden by leaves.
Habitat: Generally manmade structures, mainly limestone walls but sometimes tarmac pavements. Sometimes natural limestone or sandstone.
Status: Rare in the Touraine.
Photographed by Loire Valley Nature: